Sunday, May 2, 2010

Meet Our Artists: Amelia Husnik

Grand Bend , acrylic

New to Sunset Arts this year, Amelia is a resident of London, Ontario. Amelia works in oil, watercolour and acrylic. Amelia loves to sketch and paint "plein air" and travels extensively in Canada and Europe, sketching as she goes. Amelia is also a member of The Gallery Painting Group.

"As long as I remember I loved to look at pictures, first in children’s books, later at paintings, architecture and street scenes. Getting involved in painting I became much more aware of the influence of light and dark, colour andcomposition. Taking workshops, going on painting trips and joining an outdoor painting group helped me to loose all fear of working on location, helping me to develop the skills needed to put on paper or canvas whatever the eye sees.
For the last 5 or 6 years I have had the privilege of going with a small group of friends on painting trips to different locations in Canada and in Europe. Our goal is to paint and sketch as much as we can, sacrificing only a fraction of our time to sightseeing or museum visits. Working on location is the best thing an artist can do in my opinion; it makes you observe with greater intensity, and many a detail is only discovered during sketching or painting.We’ve been in Northern Ontario, Muskoka district, France, The Netherlands, England and Newfoundland. Filled with wonderful memories, photographs and a great number of sketches and paintings, we return, inspired to produce much more. These “holidays” are very precious to me, and I hope that many more will follow."