Sunday, May 2, 2010

Meet Our Artists: Susan Garrington

Sunflower Field, watercolour
Susan is a resident of London, Ontario who works in watercolour, acrylic, graphite and mixed media. Many of her paintings,such as the one above, are done "plein air" with the Gallery Painting Group. Susan has been a member of the GPG since the year 2000. She often travels to paint with other artists and several of her paintings on display this year are the result of a painting trip to Newfoundland undertaken last summer. This is Susan's third year at Sunset Arts.

"My landscapes are inspired by plein air sketching sessions and sometimes paintings are completed on site. I walk through the landscape until I feel a physical reaction to what I am seeing. My goal is to capture that moment and produce an image with a personal resonance. Working on location allows me to absorb the sights, sounds, shapes and rhythms that present themselves, to be in the moment, to attempt to understand the spirit of the place. I work primarily in watercolour because its range of values from ephemeral to intensely saturated can produce both luminous light and mysterious dark which I use as vehicles to intensify my interpretation of the spirit of a particular place and time. "

Susan has exhibited her work in many solo and group exhibitions. She has been the recipient of several awards for her work which can be found in several galleries as well as in private collections.